MATV/UMA needs your help! Can you write a letter of support? The City of Malden is beginning the process of renewing the cable franchise agreement with Comcast which is set to expire in December 2022 and will subsequently enter into a renewal process with Verizon, whose license with the city is set to expire in 2023.
The percentage of revenue that goes to the community is laid out in the cable license agreement and is the primary means of support for MATV, Malden’s Media Center – which is about to rebrand as UMA, Urban Media Arts.
As the City negotiates the new license agreements, it is critical that the community voices support for adequate funding of MATV/UMA to address community needs. If you and/or your organization has benefitted from the resources administered by MATV/UMA please add your voice to this support by writing a letter (info & template supplied below) and/or appearing at an upcoming public hearing (the next date is TBA).
In addition, we will be conducting an online survey and a series of focus groups to ascertain community needs in early 2021. Please be on the lookout for dates/times of these activities. Your input and participation in these activities will greatly assist in ensuring that MATV/UMA has the resources to better meet the needs of the community in the future.
Instructions/Template for Letter of Support
- If you represent an organization please use organizational letterhead.
- Send letters of support to Office of the Mayor; Malden City Hall; 215 Pleasant St. 4th floor; Malden, MA 02148, or email a scanned letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CC: or forward us a copy of the letter to email@example.com
- In the first paragraph, use the phrase “MATV, soon to be UMA” and, subsequently in the letter, use “MATV/UMA”
- This template gives you a structure and some sample wording. Please feel free to use your own words as you see fit.
Thank you so much for your time and consideration of support.