Become a Filmbuilder!
What is a filmbuilder?
Filmbuilders are community members who engage in group filmmaking. You will work in small, diverse, and multi-generational teams to co-create short films based on a theme related to the city of Malden. These teams create films under the mentorship of professional filmmakers. After completion, films will be screened at public events in Malden.
No arts or filmmaking experience is required.
You must be able to commit to the Spring 2023 (Mar-May) program session. A program session is about a 35-40 hour time commitment over a three month period. This includes several virtual workshops and meetings, in addition to time spent on film production with your team.
What can you expect from this program?
- Online workshops (three hours in total) on collaborative visual storytelling, led by Filmbuilding Malden leadership
- Creation, production, or editing of video content with assistance from UMA media experts
- Meetings with your team throughout film production
- Participation in public events, screenings, or panels to discuss your film production experience
- Brief interviews and surveys with Filmbuilding Malden leadership
- Free online training on community-oriented dialogue, led by Essential Partners in Cambridge
Throughout the program session, there will be many opportunities to build connections within the Malden community through team building, creative problem solving, visual storytelling, civic engagement, and more!
- Commit to approximately 35-40 hours over a three month period, including some weekends and evenings
- Attend meetings both online (with stable internet connection) and in-person
- Conversant in English
$300. If you don’t wish to take a stipend, you can donate this amount back to UMA to fund the contributions of Filmbuilding Malden partners and advisors.
Who is an ideal filmbuilder?
Great question! An ideal filmbuilder is:
- Interested in working with people of different ages and backgrounds
- Community-minded, collaborative, and enjoys group work
- A storyteller, a problem-solver, or a creative person
- Any race, ethnicity, gender, orientation, religion, or socio-economic status — folks from all backgrounds are welcome to apply
How to Apply
Please complete a brief application form below by November 1. Follow-up interviews will be scheduled for each applicant. Please email any and all questions to Anne D’Urso-Rose at email@example.com.
Filmbuilding Malden is a city-funded arts and culture program with the goal of improving cultural cohesion, developing community assets, and strengthening Malden’s sense of place. For more information about the program, visit the webpage.
Spring 2023 Filmbuilder Application Form
If you are interested in being a filmbuilder for the Spring 2023 session, please complete this application by November 1, 2022.
Submitting an application does not guarantee a spot in the program. After submission, you will complete a brief phone or Zoom interview. We will then reach out with an official decision regarding your application by Late November.
If you would like assistance in completing this form, please email Anne D’Urso-Rose at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (781) 321-6400 ext. 102 for UMA’s offices.